Lyons Good Old Days, speakers, history, alumni, live music and more
Lyons Good Old Days
Honoring Lyons Vietnam Veteran, Mickey Hawkins, Friday 6 - 7 p.m.
Mickey Hawkins, only Lyons veteran killed in the Vietnam War (Quang Nam Province, 1970, at age 19) – Dedication of Bench to Honor Him 6/24/22 – presented by Gary Secrest and Rhonda French, on behalf of their Lyons Alumni Class of 1969. Stone donated by Blue Mountain Stone, and additional payment by Friends of Mickey. – This 50 Year Anniversary Acknowledgement was delayed two years because of COVID-19 restrictions.
Program on the front lawn of the Lyons Redstone Museum, 340 High Street, Lyons, CO, as part of the traditional Lyons Good Old Days weekend = June 24, 2022, Friday, 6 – 7 p.m.
==Honor Guard American Legion Post 32; Laying of the Wreath, Salute, Taps
==Presentation by Lyons High School Alumni Class of 1969 = 3 family & friend speakers
==Invocation and Benediction, closing, by Pastor
==Sharing / mixing / conversation / photograph taking
Lyons Redstone Museum: Good Old Days Program, Saturday, 1-1:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 25, 1 – 1:30 p.m. at the Lyons Redstone Museum, outside, front lawn
- Welcome by Jerry Johnson, Lyons Redstone Museum, with brief remarks about museum director, and Lyons Historical Society president, LaVern Johnson, (deceased). And, history of saving the 1881 School House.
- Paula Williams, Town of Lyons Trustee, and liaison for the Lyons History Preservation Commission, will represent the Town and speak about how Lyons has grown over the past 50 years
- Brief remarks by past-mayor Nick Angelo
- Short talk by Dr. Karen Gregg about her grandmother Franziska Stein (who owned the Lyons Black Bear Inn in the 1970s) and wrote a book.
- There will be no Mr & Mrs. Good Old Days honors this year.
- Introduction of:
(1.) All Lyons High School Alumni who are present. Plus class representatives from Reunion Alumni years 1970 -71 -72, who will give a brief introduction
(2.) Graduating teens who belong to Pioneer Families of Lyons (50 years or more): Zachary Heil (of the Heil Ranch Family), Milton Meyers (family moved to McCall Lake area in 1958), and Anthony (Vasquez) Thomlison (Blue Mtn. Stone, since the 1950s).
(3.) Pioneer Family members in the audience (greetings, no speeches)
- History Books and DVDs will be available for purchase
- Taking of Alumni photographs
- Open house in the Redstone Museum (self-guided tours; viewing graduation group photographs; and yearbooks) Enjoy simple cold beverage and snacks.
Alumni Picnic in LaVern Johnson Park, Saturday
A variety of entertainment and group picnics are planned by the coordinators of 50 year Alumni classes Reunions of 1970, 1971 and 1972 in LaVern Johnson Park, Lyons. (The ’70 and ’71 reunions were delayed due to COVID-19 restrictions.) In addition to attending the Hawkins bench dedication, and the program at the Museum; they are invited to attend the evening Concert in Sandstone Park.
Good Old Days Concert in the Park, Saturday, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
The Alumni Reunion members will be ending their weekend by attending a Concert in Sandstone Park. The public is invited to join them. This free concert is provided by the Lyons Historical Society and the Johnson Family.
Summerhawk band will be performing. The band consists of Brad Hevron, songwriter, acoustic guitar; Scott Midler, playing mandolin and guitar; and local Pam Browning, on the bass. Enjoy bluegrass to Americana to folk, and you are invited to get up and dance. Bring a lawn chair, or a blanket to enjoy your picnic on. (There will be an intermission; no liquor is allowed).