Edward S. Lyon was an important part of Putnam, Connecticut’s early development. In October 1877, the beautiful hotel he was building across from the depot was almost finished when a devastating fire swept through Putnam. Many buildings were lost, but, fortunately, repairs were possible for the areas of Mr. Lyon’s hotel that were partly damaged.
The hotel was first named the Commercial House but was later called Hotel Chickering. There’s only a small part of the hotel that now survives because of the destruction of additional fires throughout the 1900’s.
Mr. Lyon also built a beautiful home in Putnam for himself and his family. The home was on the highest point of Oak Hill, overlooking the growing business center of Putnam.
When Mr. Lyon and his family left Putnam, they sold the home to Mr. Edgar Wheaton, who put some personal touches to the home. Mr. Lyon and Mr. Wheaton were similar in that they both played a big part in constructing homes and buildings in early Putnam.
The picture below was taken when Mr. Wheaton owned the property. Sadly, the home no longer exists because it was lost to a fire.
…………………….Joyce H. Cormier, Putnam, Connecticut