1. Try SCHOOL LUNCH in town: The Lyons Dairy Bar serves up a special lunch for “10 and under kids for $7.” Take your young ones out to lunch for a change of pace. === Many teens use to go there for their lunch hour during the school year. Encourage them to go there, maybe once a week, to help them bring back good memories “before the virus,” to see old friends face to face, and to help the Dairy Bar survive the pandemic closures. === They have moved to their fall/winter hours of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.
2. FOOTBALL NEWS: Britton Fell noted in his sports notes that there was “something new on our helmets.” It is the red Firefighters Maltese Cross—a way to thank the firefighters for their continuing hard work for Lyons and support of the school teams! GO LIONS! (See this week’s article about the last football game — go to the MENU and click on SPORTS to see the latest articles.)
3. COVID-19: Lyons Elementary School announced to all parents on November 10th that there was one school-related case of COVID-19* and that it was quickly taken care of. The person at school and all persons with close contact have been quarantined.
4. POINSETTIA FUNDRAISER: The Lyons Band is selling poinsettias, holiday greenery (wreaths, garlands, holiday bouquets, etc), and Christmas Cacti as their annual fundraiser. The deadline to order is THIS MONDAY! November 16, at midnight. Contact Bank Director Karen Crews-Gregg if you have questions. (See Flash News)
5. GRANTS given for LYONS ELEMENTARY COMMUNITY SCHOOL: Thank you to local realtors and mortgage brokers Jonelle Tucker, Tucker Group Real Estate, Dan Siddall, Gateway Realty, Scott Young, Blue Sky Mortgage Group, and Graham Hubner, Colorado Lending Group, who have gifted funds in support of local elementary students! They made it possible for two students to attend fall semester at the Lyons Elementary Community School childcare program during this time of at-home and hybrid schooling. The fundraiser was conducted by Perky Hubner, a community member, and Jen White, Lyons Elementary School first grade teacher. Your generous support has improved the lives of students and their families, thank you!
6. LIBRARY=CHILDREN’s STORYTIME & MORE: Currently the Lyons Library has posted some “non-local” children’s storytime programs that are virtual, and are streaming, so that you can do them any time, at your convenience. The new children’s librarian Appelles will be starting that the Lyons program up again in a couple of weeks. The Estes Valley library has a children’s reading program on Thursdays. It also has a read-along family book club; a three part Read-Along Series, of the “The Wee Free Men” book. The Boulder library has more than 100 YouTube video’s available “with Hannah” and “with Johanna.”
7. LYONS COMMUNITY FOUNDATION: Lyons Middle/Senior High School Booster Club received a grant this October for the annual After Prom.
8. Elementary School may GO VIRTUAL AGAIN, Nov. 12, 2020: From Principal Andrew Moore: As cases across the county, state, and nation continue to rise, and quarantine protocols become more stringent, Dr. Haddad and our leadership team are considering a move back to the virtual environment after Thanksgiving break. There are several options being considered, and student and staff access to the building will be influenced by the Boulder County Health Department. A SVVSD School Board meeting will take place next Wednesday to determine next steps, and community wide communication will be sent following the meeting.
9. NEW: rapid increase of COVID-19 cases== We have posted the letters from both the Elementary and Middle/High School *PRINCIPALS in our latest COVID-19 NEWS article. 11/13/20